Letters to the Editorby Tony Diaz - El Librotraficante www.tonydiaz.net on 06/11/14
Letter to the Editor
· 2 – 4 pages long.
· 400 – 600 words.
· For the essay you submit for class, follow the MLA format.
· Write about a topic covered in a Houston Chronicle news story, or an op-ed column from the editorial board or guest columnist.
· You must have a definite thesis statement: an enthymeme with a claim and a reason.
· Combine logos and pathos to further your point.
· For extra credit, submit a shortened version (to confirm with submission guidelines) to the newspaper. After you submit it to the newspaper, forward me what you sent them.
· You receive 10pts just for submitting the essay for publication. You can earn up to 20 pts that way.
· If the newspaper publishes your letter to the editor, you will receive 50 pts extra credit, and I will brag about you for a year.