The Librotraficante Under Ground Library Charterby Tony Diaz - El Librotraficante www.tonydiaz.net on 10/05/14
The Librotraficante Under Ground Library Charter
“Our literature and our history must never be at the mercy of political whim ever again. We ask supporters to donate copies of the banned books by the dozen to these Underground Libraries to preserve freedom of speech, so that all of us can tell our stories,” -Tony Diaz, El Librotraficante.
The Librotraficantes coordinate a network that includes Under Ground Libraries throughout the nation for the distribution of books, workshop plans, instructions for workshop leaders, visits from writers, so that not only will our communities always have access to our art, literature, and culture, but these sites will also fortify a generation of readers, writers, thinkers and activists through the literary arts in the same manner that Nuestra Palabra: Latino Writers Having Their Say has done so in Houston, Texas since 1998.
The Librotraficantes came into existence to join the movement against Arizona’s Banning of Mexican American Studies.
Every Librotraficante Under Ground Library must have a hard copy of this Charter and link to it through multimedia, so that the institutional attempt to erase our history is never forgotten, and so that our community always has access to its history.
Contents of the Charter
· Chronological Facts that led up to the creation and repeal of Arizona House Bill 2281 which banned Mexican American Studies.
· The List of all the books banned in Tucson because of Arizona House Bill 2281.
· A list of the Tucson 11, the original Mexican American Studies teachers at Tucson Unified School District
· The list of the legal team and plaintiffs who filed suit against the state of Arizona in response to AZ HB 2281.
· The Librotraficante Manifesto
· The List of the Caravanistas who participated in the 2012 Librotraficante Caravan to Tucson.
· List of Allies, Student Groups, organizations, and individuals who joint the movement to repeal Arizona House Bill 2281 so that no one’s history would be illegal.
· One page bio on each of the Librotraficante Under Ground Libraries